Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives

    Has to be my fav Food Network show and finally gonna get to visit one of the places showed on there. The Smokey Valley Truck Stop in Kentucky that was on last night is only about 1.5 hours from my in-laws house and I will be headin over this weekend anyway and plan on taking them there. It is in Olive Hill about halfway between Morehead and Grayson on I-64. The food looked spectacular especially the Coconut Cream pie.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Diner, Drive-Ins, & Dives

    I love that show!! Try the biscuits and gravy for me.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Diner, Drive-Ins, & Dives

    I love that show, but watching it starves me to death! (My favorite show is Good Eats)

    I dont know if I'd want to try that coconut cream pie they featured last night. It had a bunch of egg yolks in it, but the filling was uncooked - they put it in a pre-cooked pie shell and just browned the meringue.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Diner, Drive-Ins, & Dives

    I like the show as well. I want to stop in Spartansburg sometime to try the Beacon Drive In after watching the show.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  5. #5
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Diner, Drive-Ins, & Dives

    I almost drove down there the Sunday after that show aired just to try The Beacon.

    I don't believe they showed everything on the making of that Coconut pie. I am sure the filling was cooked at some point. Doesn't matter to me either way I used to drink 5 raw eggs every morning after my workout later I just put 2 raw eggs in my protein shake. I believe raw eggs get a raw deal sometimes.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Diner, Drive-Ins, & Dives

    I dunno - I saw them put a bunch of eggs in a cold mix - thicken with cornstarch then straight into the precooked pie crust (precooked crust means no baking of the filling). I didn't see any cut-aways to indicate they slipped off and cooked it first. For those that eat a bunch of egg yolks raw it may just be fine, but it's just not for me.

    All the other food though looked great - I love breakfast food any time of day. I can certainly look past one uncooked pie for some hasbrowns/waffles/biscuits/etc
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •